Each child must
have a complete physical examination by a physician before enrollment
is complete. We will supply an examination form that must be returned
on or before the first day of admission. It is strongly recommended
that your child has a lead screening!
A health form must be renewed EACH YEAR of your child's attendance at St. Matthew Lutheran School. This is a requirement of the
New York State Office of Children & Family Services.
Your child should always be carefully observed for signs of colds or other illness before leaving for school. A child should not go to school at the risk of infecting others. Please notify the school as soon as possible if your child develops a contagious disease. We will notify the other parents so they can observe their children for symptoms. Confidentiality is observed at all times.
If your child is unable to attend school for any reason, please notify the school before 8:00am. We worry if they are not here!
Illness During Hours of Attendance:
Children who become "actively ill" during the class day will be cared for at the discretion of the classroom teacher. We have
a retired nurse on staff who understands childhood illnesses. If the child becomes too ill to remain in school, the
teacher or director will notify the parent to pick up the child. Every effort will be made to make the child as comfortable as possible until the Parent/Guardian arrives.
Children with a communicable disease will need a note that is signed by a physician in order to return to school.
Here are just a few of our Health Specifications for both the safety of our children and our staff:
1. Tables are washed before and after meals and snack times.
2. Each child is assigned his or her own mat for naptime. These mats are washed every Friday with disinfectant.
3. All toys and play areas are disinfected on Friday as well as cleaned daily by our cleaning staff.
4. Staff is required to wear gloves when coming in contact with blood or bodily fluids.
5. Hands will be washed: After contact with secretions (nasal or oral), blood, after the use of bathroom facilities, before and after meals, snacks or coffee breaks. Proper hand washing will be taught to all our students and observed to ensure proper hand washing technique.